Thursday, January 18, 2007

Girl Scout Cookies

Apparently, it's Girl Scout cookie time. My Mom called me the other day to let me know she's putting in an order and to see if I wanted anything. Which, of course, I do. There's a giant order form hanging up on the office fridge. And the train station near my house has been overrun for weeks with screaming girl scouts trying to drum up business.

As with almost everything, Wikipedia has some good info on Girl Scout cookies. In particular, I enjoyed their breakdown of the highest selling cookies from a recent season...

As of 2004, the best selling Girl Scout cookies are:

* Thin Mints (25% of total sales)*
* Samoas/ (19%)*
* Tagalongs/ (13%)*
* Do-si-dos (11%)*
* Trefoils/ (9%)*

Obviously, it's no surprise that Thin Mints are #1. Everyone loves Thin Mints. Show me someone that doesn't include Thin Mints in a Girl Scout cookie order and I'll show you someone I just don't trust. Thin Mints straight out of the freezer is about as great a cookie experience as you can have in my opinion.

As for the rest of the top sellers....I'm not a Samoas guy. Don't like coconut. People who like them are pretty fanatical though so I guess I can't begrudge them the 2-hole. After Thin Mints, Tagalongs are my second favorite Girl Scout cookie. Always thought they were a little underrated. Love the classic chocolate/peanut butter combo. Do-si-dos are those Oreo-style peanut butter sandwich cookies. Not a big fan. And Trefoils? Those are the plain ones with the creepy Girl Scout logo on them. Terrible. To steal an oft-used quote from my dad, "I wouldn't eat those with your mouth."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I work at a newspaper where the local Girl Scouts try to bribe us with all the flavors so we can do a story. There's a new lemon-like cookie that ain't bad - it's got a frosted baste that works. It's not a Thin Mint by any means, but a good change-of-pace cookie.

Oh, and more Sports Illustrateds from the past!

Anonymous said...

I don't like thin mints...and i wouldn't trust me either